I’m not always the nicest person. In fact, I don’t think I’m ever the nicest person. But I do believe kindness is one of the best characteristics a person can display. At times, it is also one of the most difficult. I came up with this very simple list after I was very mean for an unjustified reason. I say ‘simple’ because they are simple in their essence…we just have to ensure that kindness overcomes whatever negative cloud is consuming us.
1. If you can’t say anything nice, don’t say anything at all
2. Sometimes you have to force yourself to say something nice
3. Smile, especially if you’d rather not
4. Remember that everyone has her own dragons to slay
5. Put yourself in the other person’s shoes
6. TRY to understand people
7. Remember that the universe is huge and that you aren’t the only person in it. Other people are entitled to their own opinions
8. Remember that the person you’re angry/frustrated/annoyed with is someone’s baby
9. Sometimes you just have to get over it. Be the bigger person.
10. Ask yourself: Is it really worth it? If the answer is no, walk away.